Woodlawn School is currently searching for a Communications Manager. The Communications Manager supports the Director of Marketing by managing communications functions that include writing press releases and news stories featuring various elements of school life; manage, update, and ensure the functionality of the school’s website and social media; serve as a member of the school’s Marketing and Events committees; database management of those elements of the school’s Blackbaud operating systems that pertain to constituent communications; community public relations functions; and essential office functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Website and Social Media Management & Support
- Participate and engage in website design, management, and strategy sessions.
- Support the transition to the school’s new WordPress website and August 2022 debut.
- Develop content for the new website that attractively and effectively features school life.
- Manage and support the ongoing operation of the website, ensuring its information is always accurate, timely, and engaging.
- Support the Director of Marketing in making effective use of Google Analytics and other tools to measure and improve the efficacy of the school’s marketing communications.
- Under the direction of the Director of Marketing, manage, coordinate, and support successful relationships with providers of communications services (website design and hosting company, videographers and photographers, advertising agencies, representatives of local paid media, and more).
- Gather story ideas and create content for press releases and news stories to be featured on the school’s website, social media, email communications, direct mail, and local media.
- Work with various constituent groups to develop, implement, and support communications strategies for programs and events, examples include Parent Connection’s Gala and STEAMfest events; enrollment and fundraising; academic and athletic programs and events, and more.
Managing the Communications Databases and Operating Systems
- Operate and manage the Blackbaud database systems that pertain to admissions prospects; parents of enrolled children; alumni and alumni parents, and friends of the school.
- Provide analysis and reporting of communications activities that measure contact with different constituent groups, develop and utilize historical reporting, forward-looking projections, and scorecard metrics. Evaluation and enhancement of existing plans and the development of new plans and tools to improve the quality and consistency of the school’s communications with stakeholders.
- Proactively establish and maintain close collaboration within the Leadership Team, Marketing, Enrollment, Development, and other departments.
- Regular work at events and meetings.; the position requires some overtime and weekend work.
- Comply with school policies and procedures.
- Performs other duties as requested.
Education and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a combination of education and/or other job-related experience may be substituted instead of the degree.
- Demonstrated proficiency in posting content to WordPress and social media such as Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and more.
- Demonstrated proficiency in editing photos and illustrations, basic skills in graphic design of website postings and social media postings.
- Experience in Communications and Public Relations operations, with experience in independent schools, higher education, and/or nonprofit organizations having special value.
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Suite.
- Experience in Blackbaud or ability to learn that system.
- Ability to write, edit, and proofread copy on a highly professional level.
- Ability to organize and think independently with orientation to deadline and detail.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively meet goals and objectives while fostering positive employee relationships and good team and organizational morale.
- Strong research and analytical skills.
- Constituent database skills: data entry, query, reporting, and analysis.
- Confidentiality and ethical gathering of information presumed.
- Committed to high service, high-touch interaction with the Woodlawn community.
- Adheres to the highest level of professionalism by demonstrating honesty, integrity, and maturity.
- Ability to work well under deadlines and juggle multiple projects simultaneously required.
- Creative approach to problem-solving.
- High comfort level with ambiguity and evolving institutional priorities.
This is a full-time position, reporting to the Director of Marketing. Competitive salary and benefits.
Interested candidates should write a letter of interest, provide a resume, provide samples of work (writing and graphic design/Layout), and 3 – 5 references to [email protected] No phone calls, please.